Thursday, July 7, 2022

Surinamese Beans And Potatoes

 I have lived in Surinam for four years of my life and it has been the most wonderful experience.

In Surinam, all kinds of cuisine was available because of variety of immigrants that live in Parimaribo. The food scene was excellent. It is a melting pot of races, culture, languages, religion. 28%of the population are East Indians called Hindoestanis and they make up the largest ethnic group in Surinam. The ancestors of this group came as workers in plantation. They brought from India their language, culture, religion and cuisine. Popular Indian cuisine included Bara, Phuluri, Roti and it was always on menu during family weddings. Although many years have gone by but the food memories are still fresh on my mind. I still have some families living on that part of the globe, who do bring for me the spices to keep my food memories alive. Sometime ago my cousin sent me Surinam masala.

Surinam masala is the happy medley of spices that gives distinct taste to the food. This masala is used in most of the gravies (I am drooling while I write this)



I used to love Roti Kip which is simply dal stuffed roti with chicken, potatoes and long beans. Recently I invited my friends for a special Surinam meal. My friends are vegetarian, so I just cooked french beans with potatoes in Surinam masala and served it on dal-stuffed flat bread along with the spicy surinamese chutney.

My friends loved it and as for me..It brought back the memories of Surinam Do visit my Utube channel to see the full recipe





No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

p1

Thank you for your appreciation