Wednesday, April 7, 2021

Spinach With Dried Lentil Dumplings

I remember very faintly my grandmother and my mom in the courtyard of my house in Jaipur, drying Vadis. 

I remember living in a house in Jaipur, was it 3 or 4 rooms, I am not sure, but all the rooms faced a big courtyard in centre. Kitchen and bathroom were on the other side of the courtyard. There would few cots spread across the open space, and there was a small washing area in one corner. A narrow stairway spiralled up to the terrace. The cots were used for sleeping under stars at night, but during the day, it was covered with thin bed sheets to dry various food stuff made in the kitchen.  The elders of the family would always be busy making Papads, pickles and wadis and would dry them in sun on those cots. After I moved to Mumbai, I never went back, but the memory lingers.

 I loved to help in which ever way I could. Rolling out papads was a fun activity for me although the shape was not perfect. 

My Mom used to love Vadis. Even when we lived in Spain, mom would make it at home, by grinding soaked lentils and adding spices and keeping it for drying but the sun was never too strong, so the vadis were never made to perfection.

I think (in our childhood) because our parents used to pamper us therefore we made lot of fuss during meals and had missed out on so many delicious and healthy food. I didn't care much for Vadis for example and always wrinkled my nose when it appeared on the table.

Was it in its name or was it the look, I am not sure, but I would never taste it (because I had choice, there was always more variety to choose from) 

But now, I love it..its spicy, tasty and so full of flavours

Were my mom alive today, she would be happy that now I share her taste.

I have developed the taste for it..and I love it.. tried my mom's recipe



1. Heat 2tbsp oil in a pan and fry 2 cardamoms, 1 inch finely chopped ginger and 1tsp black pepper powder.

2. Add 100gms Vadis and 2 chopped potatoes. 

3. Mix it well. 

4. Add 1tsp turmeric powder, 1tsp spice powder and 1tsp salt. 

5. Add 2 chopped tomatoes. 

6. Cook for 2 minutes till tomatoes soften, mix it well. 

7. Add 1small bunch of spinach and coriander leaves. 

8. Lower the flames and cook for 20 minutes till the potatoes are tender. 

9. Serve with chappatis.

I had made quite a lot for lunch, there was some left overs, that was used to make pulao and that was for my dinner...

If you are following my You-tube channel, you can see the recipe too of Vadis made in Spinach.




No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

p1

Thank you for your appreciation